Thursday, March 21, 2013

Good things come in three




My face warms when I hear the words, “Yes, hello, my girlfriend has just published her first novel, entitled This Morning I Woke Up Dead,” Troy pauses. Laughs. “Yes, we’re very excited, thank you. And yes it’s as intriguing as the title. I read it and really loved it.”
Troy is my biggest fan. My manager, PR person. And my love.
He goes onto say that he is helping me to promote my novel and we’re looking for avenues to put the word out about my book and if they’d be interested in writing an article to help support a local author.
          
Oh my.
          Local author.  
          Talk about a rush!
          
While writing my novel, it never occurred to me that at some point, I would need to actually talk about it with others and promote myself. Ugh. Inside I still feel five years old. Thick glasses. Patch on one eye like a Pirate. Arm in a sling. Sweaty palms. I have grown up a lot since then. I ditched the patch. I wear contacts. All my limbs work well, most of the time. But at heart, I will always be that nerdy little awkward girl.

Until my twenties I was uncomfortable calling or speaking to a single soul on the phone.
          “Oh, yes, Mindy is here.” Troy nods excitedly. “You want to interview her? Oh, sure of course.” Troy’s green eyes are glistening with excitement. He is smiling his amazing big charming smile, melting me as he thrusts his slim cell phone into my hands. I don’t want to let him down or let him know how chicken shit I am. I want to make him proud. I will do this.
          
Well, maybe.
          
          My eyes bulged as I say, “She wants to talk to me??”
         “Uh, yeah,” Troy whispers holding his strong hand over the phone, hoping to mute my resistance. One second passes. Two. Three.
         
           It literally feels as if there is a balloon being inflated and deflated inside of my stomach as butterflies and fairies dance in celebration of the release of my novel. Shaking my head, I breathe, “I can’t.” Five year old me just wants to crawl under a blanket. Instead, I pull my long hair over my face, as thirty six year old me screams inside: This is awesome! Talk to her! This is what you want!
          
           “You got this babe, you got this,” Troy says encouragingly, giving me the courage to take to the phone.
          “Hello?” My palms sweat in remembrance of my younger days. As I collect myself, I hear an excited voice speaking. I remind myself that this is important, and to pay attention. When I tune in I hear an excited voice say, “Hi, this is Tammy from TBA. Would you like to meet and do an interview for the TBA newspaper?”
          “Um, sure. When were you thinking?” Part of me wants her to say, next week or even better, next month. But no.
          “How about right now? Do you like tea, or coffee?”
          “I love coffee.” I tell her and we plan to meet in half an hour.
         
          Troy and I always talk about how timing is everything and we don’t believe in coincidences. Things happen for a reason. Tammy from TBA explained to me how her friend was supposed to do the interview for the paper and even be on hand for the Pocatello Art Walk to sign some books, but unfortunately, she can’t make it. “Can you do it?”
          
           “Yes,” I cheer as I smile proudly and dance around my living like my fairy friends. Lucy, our dog, rolls her eyes at me and sighs.
Personally, I truly believe that everything works out when you’re in tune with want you want.  Meaning, you are grateful. 
                                                     
                                                    
 You believe. 
  You go get it.

         


              
         At this point, I was still in my pajamas. Diet coke black T shirt. Faded gray yoga pants. And cascading down my back is my unruly bed head hair. To top it off, I have a couple of pimples in great need of some concealer. Luckily, adrenaline kicked in and I've never got ready in so little time.

         
My meeting with Tammy went very well.

She bought me lunch and coffee. I gave her my last copy of my book. I also gave her chills when I told her about my book. And again when I told her that those are my daughter’s hands on the cover of the book. And for a third time when I told her that my daughter plays the violin and they’re violinist’s hands.



Tammy was thrilled. She explained that a spiritual reader friend of hers told her that whenever someone or something gives you the chills it means that you are at the right place and with the right person. I think it means something amazing is happening and to pay attention.

        Just before our meeting ended, I signed my third book. The first was to my mom, second to Troy. Three is a recurring theme in my book. Coincidence? I think not.

          
Troy made two more phone calls that day on my behalf.


          I am honored and grateful and excited and proud to say that I have my first book signing coming up at TBA- The Basic Alternative Magazine April 5th, 2013 in Old Town Pocatello, ID. 








Here's a photo. I was introduced to Louise Bolliger, another local author here in Pocatello








My second book signing will be at Barnes and Noble in Idaho Falls, ID. So far, we've had an amazing response. I am selling lots of books and had a lot of great things happen and numerous compliments regarding my novel. 



     I believe. 

            I also believe good things come in three’s. 

What do you believe?




No comments:

Post a Comment